Sunday, June 12, 2011

Arrival Day

I am typing this from my bedroom on Yorckstrasse in Berlin. Can you believe it? Both of my flights went well. I slept a good bit on the way from New York to Berlin, but the layover in New York was soooo long. I got there at 9:40 eastern time and my next plane left at 19:10... Nine hours. That's how long the flight was from New York to Berlin as well. The current local time is 15:37 which is 8:37 central time. I arrived in Berlin this morning at around 10:00 where Antonia (preferably "Toni") picked me up. We took a taxi through the city to Yorckstrasse which is the street the apartment is on. It is so beautiful! The neighborhood is really nice. Toni is patient with my German, and she tells me to be patient with her English, although I think her English is better than my German. She tells me that she has never taken any English classes, but what she knows she learned from listening to music and watching movies in English. She is very outgoing and friendly. We went for a long walk around the neighborhood weaving through all the people hanging around for the Culture Carnival. Even as I write, a type of gypsy music backed with a techno beat is floating through my window...

It's weird, but I feel right at home here. That probably has a lot to do with Toni. She's pretty cool. Hearing all the people speaking in German constantly just makes me feel even more determined to learn the language. Pets always help too. Lucy is a pretty big, really sweet dog who has the ability to walk around the city without a leash on and be perfectly fine (when there aren't tons of people around). I will meet Toni's brother Leonhard (pronounced Leonard) and her mom later tonight. Right now, I am going to shower. I haven't yet since I arrived, not that I've been here that long, and we've been walking all over the place. So I need to cleanse my body. Don't know what we'll do tonight.

Oh, why we were out, I had the best ice cream I've ever tasted. Great stuff. Shall I incorporate for my readers a German word in my posts? Today's is Eis meaning ice cream.

1 comment: