Monday, June 13, 2011

Getting Around

Today was supposed to be my first day of school at GLS. However, I did not know that I was expecting to go to school on a German national bank holiday. This means that everything is closed. Today was vastly different from yesterday during the Carnival.

So, instead of taking a test and going to class today, Toni took me to help me find my way to the school. There are about 500 different ways to get there. Check it out:


So this is my key to the city. I can get anywhere in Berlin from where I am now, without much difficultly. I purchased a ticket for the month that will admit me to any U-Bahn, S-Bahn, Tram or Bus. 


The U-Bahn is Berlin's largest underground (or subway) system. The S-Bahn is also an underground system owned by different people. Trams are railed subways that go through the city (not underground), and Buses are, well, buses. Just today, I traveled on the U-Bahn, S-Bahn, and a tram. We would have also taken a bus, but it wasn't a very long walk from where we were to where we were going and there wasn't a bus coming that we could see. So we just walked.

Toni and Leo have school tomorrow, and Frau Susanne has work. I must be at GLS at 8:30 to take my placement test. Though the school was not operating today, there was a person at the front desk to help us out. This entailed him and Toni speaking in fast German, him turning to me to ask something, me giving a confused look and pausing shortly before saying "bitte?", him giving a sympathetic smile as if he were thinking (yea... I know what she'll make on her placement test) and asking again in English. All is well. The test will take about 20 minutes, then they will process it and place me in a class. Classes start at 10 tomorrow and all Mondays. They begin at nine on regular days. Classes are 1 1/2 hours and I have two classes a day. Besides that, there are excursions in Berlin a couple days a week, seminars on German culture every Thursday afternoon and optional day trip excursions outside Berlin on Saturdays.

I am ready to start going to school. It's been really nice having the day off. I slept well last night. I believe I am sleeping on a king sized bed. It's huge. I will feel better about being here when I start school, though, I think.

This morning for breakfast, I had an egg prepared the German way. They are boiled for 6 minutes and then taken out and placed in a little egg holder. Kind of like this one. The shell stays on. Then, you cut the top 1/3 off with a knife and eat it after adding salt. And then scoop the rest of it out with a spoon. It was really good, especially after adding salt.

I think that's it for today. It is almost 16:00 here. I haven't seen Leo today and Toni is in her room on the phone I believe. Frau Luedtke is out somewhere.

Today's word: gelb. The U-Bahn, S-Bahn, trams and buses are all gelb.                          Tschuss!!!  

4 comments:

  1. Sorry for the big map... I made it smaller but then you couldn't read anything on it. It's all in German anyways, but this is a clearer, more spaced out map than if it were smaller, just so you can have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like everything is well connected. I wish I knew where you are on the map, and where the school is. School, you shall advance rapidly I think. Big day. BTW..what time does the sun rise there?
    Mutter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think around 5 is when it rises. maybe earlier. Where I am on the map: If you can find the biggest yellow (gelb) airplane near the bottom of the central area, the U-Bahn station just up and left of it is Mehringdamm. Then, just a little ways to the left and up is Yorckstrasse. The Luedtke apartment is somewhere in between these two. I think I've decided it to be better to take the U-Bahn from Mehringdamm.

    From Mehringdamm, I follow the purple line up until it intersects with the red line at Stattmitte. From here I transfer to the orange line and stay on it until Eberswalder Strasse. From here, I get off and the street my school is on is right across from the U-Bahn station. It's about a five-seven minute walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a good route. How long does it take?

    ReplyDelete